Saturday, April 10, 2010

Week Two

Week 2 Workout: Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and 2 minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Day One: It is a little intimidating to think that I will be jogging for 1-1/2 minutes nonstop. Most people would laugh at this, but as an asthmatic, that fear of my lungs closing up is a real one, and I have never really tried or been able to jog for this long. I want very much for my body to cooperate with me and I am afraid of my lungs interfering with my progress.

I soon find that it is completely achievable, and I complete my first workout of the week in 30 minutes, going a total of 2 miles. YES!!! I am on top of the world right now, and to top it off, my jeans are already starting to fit a little better. There is no greater reward right now in my mind.

Day Two: Almost identical results: 1.9 miles in 29 minutes. I cannot even begin to describe the level of accomplishment I am feeling - and the empowerment within myself knowing that I can DO this! It's a superb confidence builder.

Day Three: The weather is getting nicer out, so I decide to try an outdoors run. BAD idea!! I live on the east bench of the Wasatch Mountains in Ogden, UT and my neighborhood is VERY hilly. Nevertheless, I tried to run on a level stretch and I honestly felt like I was dragging concrete behind me. I had to turn around and go home before I finished my workout, which was frustrating. Although when I got home I found that there was a storm on the way, which explained why I couldn't breathe - the air was heavy, and boy did I pay for that run!

I think I'll stick to the treadmill until I get through this program, then go from there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment