Saturday, June 9, 2012

I love the outdoors.  I am allergic to every tree, plant, and grass that's outside my front door in this beautiful state, but that doesn't keep me from exploring it every chance I get!  Utah is truly one of the most amazing places I have ever seen.  Granted, I haven't been everywhere, but I've been to quite a few national parks and I love that the beauty that surrounds me is comparable to the beauty in most national parks I have visited.  


I made a goal a few summers ago, and THIS is the year it's going to happen.  I love hiking.  I have always loved hiking, but just like with running, I have been limited by my asthma for many, many years.  As I have strengthened my lungs through running, I've noticed that hiking higher elevations has gotten a lot easier for me, and I'm thrilled!  I fully believe that a goal doesn't become a solid goal until it's shared, so here it is:  


By the end of this summer, I will hike to the top of Ben Lomond Peak in North Ogden, Utah.  It's something I have always wanted to do, and I know it will feel amazing when I do it!  


I have been hiking almost every weekend to help train for what I'm calling the Ben Lomond Beast.  :)  We are going to be taking the North Skyline Trail to the peak, which starts at the summit of the North Ogden Divide at an elevation of 6,180' and ascends to an elevation of 9,764' over 11.4 miles, ONE way.  It will be quite challenging to say the very least!


Here are some pics from the hike I took last weekend, to Malan's Peak, which is at an elevation of 6,980' and ended up being 7 miles round trip for us. 




One of the views from the Malan Peak trail, with Ben Lomond Peak in the distance to the North.  

At Malan's Peak, looking down on South Ogden

A panorama I took of Malan's Peak - full 360 view, with Ben Lomond Peak far to the North.

With some help from fellow hikers, we found the old resort area that locals have been telling me about for years!  I was so excited to find it.  It's a beautiful meadow on top of the mountain - we couldn't figure out how they got an entire resort up here.  

The plaque reads:  1898-1913
Site of Malan Heights Resort
Including 2 story hotel, sawmill, seven log cabins and a club house
Board & Room $6.00 per week. Single meal .35 and .50
Proprietors:  
Bartholomew Malan and Louisa Malan and Family
Plaque placed by Malan Family Descendents:  1997

Very cool.  Though we still can't fathom getting a hotel this high up on a mountain top.  

Our friend Pace standing atop an old cast iron boiler we found on a trail south of the meadow, used in the hotel.  Still can't figure out how they got it up there in the first place!  

It was a great hike, and a great experience.  These types of things make me grateful for my health, for my beautiful world, and for the opportunities I get to enjoy these wonderful moments.  

If you are interested in joining us on the Ben Lomond Hike, here is a link to the event on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/events/453353488027666/453364431359905/?comment_id=453365591359789&notif_t=group_comment  

This is me taking it all in - Ben Lomond is to the north - so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment